Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Can anyone help me put together a list of computer related positions?

Q. I'm just wondering what types of positions are out there to aspire to. I know about help Desk, System Analyst, Network Administrator, Senior Technologist, and Information Architect.

If anyone with experience is out there, please let me know what these and other positions mean and what other ones are out there. Thank you for your help.

A. They can be as involved, complex, or simple as the company and setting. A medium-sized information technology (IT) shop, office, or department will have functional positions based on what they need to provide for the computer users. There will be an IT director or senior boss responsible for the various components. There will likely be a computer on every information worker's desk and those will likely be networked together, a place for a network administrator to see that everyone stays connected. With computers there are machines and connections to establish and maintain and the software that does the work on those machines. Your senior technologist is likely the guy in charge of the machinery, the actual computers, printers, servers, modems, and cabling. Your systems analyst is likely the person who makes sure that the computer programs that process the sales, track the inventory, and keep the books is working together correctly. The IT director is often, but not always, the one who planned the whole process in a new company, but anyway an information architect is the person who maps out who needs to know what and how to get it to them. This includes plans for growth in the company as well as planning for new technologies. The help desk is merely someone who has a basic knowledge of the whole system in order to answer questions or ask questions that will be useful for the systems analyst or senior technologist to figure out what is broke and what they need to do to fix it.

I've done a bit of most of these, and one of the most fun moments was when a customer in a distant town insisted I drop what I was doing and fix her computer because it wouldn't start. I was due in a few minutes for a planning meeting with a small municipality over their accounting package. After listening to her, I asked her to first check that all the cables, particularly power cables were connected and plugged in. She was incensed! I reminded her of our hourly rate and how long it would take me to get there and suggested she check those again and call me back in a few minutes. She did and I didn't need to go, the computer was unplugged. Most problems are highly technical and need other things, like a signal meter on some cables as has happened recently to me. But many are simple and a moderately capable person who has the patience to listen can save the high-dollar guys a lot of wasted time.

what is the best computer on the market as of now - want complete package?
Q. What desk top computer is best -
Have a compaq presario now - had since 1998, never an ounce of trouble & is still working great, just need to upgrade, so want entire new setup - with disc burner, speakers, webcam, digital pic etc. Windows Media with free Vista upgrade available. I want it to do anything and everything I could possibly want to do.
where is the best store for service and pricing

A. Look to your local PC stores and get one built - you'll be able to get it built to best suit your needs and it will save you a bundle. You don't need to be some sort of computer expert - they should take however much time is needed to sit down with you and go through all your options.

Doing this will give you a computer to rival anything off the shelf, it will no be weighed down with a whole heap of proprietary/3rd party software which you'll never use (and will slow down most systems anyhow), and will save on the wallet, which means you'll be able to afford to get the bells and whistles which otherwise would have been out of your price-range.

Oh, and just a tip in regards to Vista - get the full copy on disc. Will save a lot of headaches in the future if you ever have to reformat your system

Why do consumers have to activate software they paid for?
Q. Also why do people keep upgrading their software. The scripts are similar?
all you get is a new desk top page and a bunch of Boloni.
Sometimes I wonder why people Gates and others who make you active software and does not respect the privacy laws are not sitting next to Made-off.I believe If you buy it it should be yours. He has been a technical-crook for years!!!
You should not have to to activate your software or spend more for upgrade!! That is just highway robbery in my opinion. What are your thoughts people???? Do you think you should have to answer to anyone for something you bought?

A. You are partially correct. I think that the only registration that you should have to make is simple. A key and then a receipt number which would be logged into a database when the software is purchased. You shouldn't have to enter any personal info or even give them your e-mail address. Registration as it's done now, no matter how much of a pain in the ass they make it, is fairly easy to hack past. The only thing that making it more difficult does is give the end user a pain in the ass trying to register something that they already paid for. It doesn't bother those involved in software piracy. It's an annoyance for those who use pirated software who aren't too bright, though, but that doesn't last very long.

>>edit:
It should also be noted that sometimes, the pain of registration and all the hoops you have to jump through leads to people using pirated software. People like to rebel against those who they believe have wronged them.
For instance, I use a no-cd hack for one of my games because for one, I don't want SecuROM malware on my computer mucking things up, and two, I don't want to have to destroy my game disk by constantly inserting it and removing it form the drive.
<<

I do agree with you that it should be stated in plain language and not be buried in the EULA that you are only purchasing limited rights to the software. Anti-viruses are the main abusers of this. You're buying a year or 18 months. After that, your software is useless unless you spend more money. How it's legal, I'm not sure... Why no one has filed a class action lawsuit, I'm not sure...

I don't think that Gates is a crook. He puts out software and you buy it and it's yours. I'm still using my original XP disk that I bought the day it was publicly available. I have a Windows 98SE disk that I could use to install on a computer and then upgrade with a XP upgrade disk that I have...if I had old enough hardware to install it on. Right now I have Windows 7 on all my computers excepting an old Dell C610 laptop that I got for free. That has one of my copies of XP upgrade on it (it had 2000 Pro). I'm hopeful that I won't have to buy another copy of Windows for ten more years...unless I buy or put together another computer without 'decommissioning' one of the others.

If you want to do something about the PITA that is paid software check out my link below. All free software...

Edit: [re: I K N's answer]
>>End User License Agreements (EULA's) tell you the Terms & Conditions of using any software BEFORE you click "I accept, or proceed"<<
Yeah, but the problem is that you only find that out *AFTER* you've purchased the software, which you now can't easily return, since it's been opened. There should at least be a very basic EULA statement on the packaging or available where you purchase the software. That would help...

_




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment