Sunday, March 31, 2013

Is it worth it to switch from a pc to a mac?

Q. I need to buy a new computer so I was at Best Buy yesterday and checked out the imacs for the first time. In terms of ingenuity, I thought they were pretty cool. I loved the fact that there isn't a tower to clutter up your desk. I also liked the multimedia software available for the mac. I talked to my friend, who's practically sucking Apples' dizak, and he went into this big speech about how great macs are and how unreliable pc's are. He has a pc bc he couldn't afford a new mac, and he complains about windows crashing any time he opens up 2 or 3 windows. I want to get a second opinion bc I know that his statements are a bit biased. I use windows everyday for my job and I have 3 windows open all of the time with no problems whatsoever.

If I get a mac it would be because of the multimedia software (such as garage band). Is it possible for me to just get a new pc and purchase similar multimedia software for my pc without buying a mac or would it be better to just get a mac?

A. No, you definitely DO NOT want to purchase an Apple.

Why not?

1. Apples (like the iPhone) are overpriced for what you get.
2. There are numerous PC manufacturers which helps maintain their quality while driving down the price.
3. PC's you can buy upgrades for at Staples, Best Buy, online, etc. With Apples, you have to buy from Apple and your computer may not even be upgradable -- way expensive.

4. The biggest selling point of the new macs (intel based) is that they can run Windows -- why do you need a Mac to run Windows when you can buy an excellent PC that does the same at a fraction of the price?

I know what you're saying though -- Mac users seem to be very zealous -- almost like they have to defend their $2,500 purchase since everyone else is getting a great PC for $600 or less.

Why else wouldn't I buy Mac?
I hate OSX. The whole interface sucks. OSX is basically a cheap knock off of FreeBSD -- a Linux that you can download and install for *FREE* on any PC. If you don't like FreeBSD, you can install Ubuntu or any number of other Linux varieties.

There is a myth that Apple is better for multimedia -- video editing, music editing, photo editing -- this used to be true (like 10+ years ago) but today where you can buy whatever quality video card, sound card, etc. to add on to your PC, the right equipment will put you far ahead of the Mac right out of the box. The Mac has nothing on the PC (don't listen to the Mac users -- they're using Mac for a reason: they're clueless)

Finally, I'd just like to laugh about the myth they always quote about Macs never getting viruses. Well, its true they don't have the virus problem that PCs do, but its not because they are built invincible or to any superior quality, but quite simply virus designers do not waste their time trying to break systems that no one uses -- their goal is to screw with as many people as they can and that means Windows (95% of the computer market).

So my final words of wisdom: Buy PC, save money and reap the benefits.

Average battery life of an iPhone 4?
Q. I have an iPhone 4 that's only a few months old, but the battery life seems to be much worse than I remembering it being. It used to last about 10 hours, but now it only lasts 4-5 hours. What is the average time that it should last? Also, what can I do about my poor battery life? I already dimmed the light on it, disabled a few things that use too much battery, and closed out of apps.

A. I have iPhone 4s for half year and battery lasts around 12 hours. 4 hours is really not much. Maybe try to call help-desk. Maybe your battery has a defect and maybe you gonna get a new iPhone. When i received mine i had some problems with software and i send it back to them, after 1 week i had a new phone.

Any suggestions for used Post its?
Q. My office space is very unorganized and it is fustrating. I have many post it notes that I need to hold on to because of important information. WHat would be a safe thing to do to keep track of them?

A. The easiest thing to do would be to use the reminder/note/scheduling features that comes built in most email clients. You could also use a program specially designed for such a task - OmniGroup make a good one, OmniFocus, which you can sync with your iPhone or iPod touch.

Transfer all your post its to the software, and recycle the remains.

You could also get a white board next to your desk and start using that for quick reminders.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment